Friday, June 27, 2008

Kind of a tough day yesterday!

I need to take a picture of Z crying and freaking out, so family members and friends can see his weird little red bindi dot.  He gets this little red spot between his eyebrows when he's super pissed.

But it just seems a little mean to stop and take pictures at those moments rather than picking him up and figuring out what's wrong.

I had to go to the doctor yesterday, which meant taking Z in the car solo for the first time, with no one in the back seat to calm him.  On the way home from the hospital, I was with him.  On the way to the pediatrician, my mom hung out with him in the back seat.  But yesterday, he was on his own.

He hated it.  It was my first experience with just having to let him cry and cry.  Okay, it's only three miles to my doctor's office.  But it was a long three miles.  It was like the whole way there, he was yelling, "Mom!  Mom! Mo-o-o-o-m!"  Very difficult.  It was the first time in his short little life that no one has responded to his cries for that long.  But he'll have to get used to being in a car seat if he's going to live in LA.  So we'll see how he does next time.

One thing that didn't really help:  it seems that it was retarded people driving school day in the parking garage at the doctor's office.  No one could manage to get in and out of spaces or negotiate the treacherous turns going up one level.  At least no one in front of me and my screaming baby.

He was actually very good at the doctor's office, even though it was, as usual, a zoo over there and I didn't even see my doctor, who was running an hour late.  I used my little nursing cover up for the first time and fed Z in the waiting room.  I'm so glad all this breast feeding stuff I spent so much money on is actually necessary.  Z was very interested in the many florescent lights and so easily entertained by staring at the ceiling.  The Nurse Midwife totally loved him and said he was very handsome.  She spent some time playing with him, and he totally dug her.  I didn't take any pics.  It wasn't really Z's appointment.  Nurse checked my incision, which looks already almost invisible.  And she told me not to exercise.  Um, noooooo problem.

Then we had another geyser later in the day and Z completely splashed the back of our incredibly impractical, unwashable glider chair.  Oh well.  That's what I get for registering for a glider from Target.  I can see what led up to this one and I missed the moment I should have given Z the pacifier.  He just really needs that oral fixation and we have to interpret when he's not actually hungry.  So this one was on me.  Literally.  All over me.  My clothes were soaked again.

Z spent a lot of time after the geyser nipping and napping, which meant I couldn't really complete any task at all while he was asleep for a mere fifteen minutes.  I have to say, most of the time, I've been pretty philosophical about days like that, because heck, he's only a tiny baby once!  But yesterday I actually ended up swearing a couple times.  Then by the time Jeff came home, Z was peacefully asleep and I'd actually gotten stuff done.  So a tough day, but we survived it.


Anonymous said...

I'll be honest...a lot of mothering is thankless, grinding work. I remember one day when Vivi hit me with every form of effluvia that a baby can make. She barfed so much it ran down my back and pooled up in my underwear! Yikes. Just stay focused on doing the ONE THING that you're doing, like you did when you had to keep driving and Z was yelling. You are doing the most important thing you will ever do, but you have to do it one tiny disgusting step at a time some days! --Ashley

DCD said...

Truer words were never said Ashley!

I may have said this already but it never occurs to you how much you will have to deal with gross bodily fluids when you become a parent. Years ago the thought of being puked on or shit on or doused in sour milk would completely skeeve me out, now - it's just the way it is.

Octopunk said...

Yeah, that paradigm shift occured and we never really noticed. As a matter of fact, I just remembered that the sheet on our bed never got changed after a middle-of-the-night dousing... a couple of nights ago. Eh.

Jeannette said...

Boy, do I remember days like that. You are doing such a great job. Even with a little swearing, it seems like you are on top of everything. Super mom!!

Julie said...

Thanks, fellow moms.