Saturday, April 18, 2009

Weekends!

We'll get some fun pictures up.  For now, I just want to say, weekends are the best.  We spent some time with Zack out on the front lawn today, and he's ridiculous fun now.  He's a non stop party.  I love that kid so much.  He's crazy goodness.

Weekdays, Jeff and I really don't get to see a lot of each other, because our work schedules are so different.  So weekends are great, and weekdays are fine, but sometimes tough--especially since my job is a major stressor.  Someday, the weirdos I work with will seem funny to me, but right now, it seems all I do is complain about them.  Jeff is a bit of a saint to listen, but I think his last job experience gave him empathy for somebody in a position like mine.

But I have to be very, very grateful this year, because I still have a job.  This week at work, many of my friends and coworkers lost 30% to 50% of their hours.  It was quite painful.  One teacher said it will force him into retirement.  Another one doesn't know how he'll "meet his obligations."  Out of sheer luck, I remained on a pristine little island and my job is unchanged.  Since I'm funded by a special federal program, and the program has been reauthorized for next year, I'll be measuring student outcomes and justifying the school's existence and entering all that information into a gigantic database and sending it off to the state and federal government, just like always.  But it can't last.  There will be fewer classes and fewer students, and therefore, fewer outcomes to measure and less data to enter, so I'm sure they'll cut the job eventually.  I just got lucky this time around!

Scary and exciting times Zack has been born into.  Jeff and I are fortunate to be employed and fortunate not to have bought houses--not like that was part of any master plan or anything.  I'll be spending most of this year trying to get another job.  Well, maybe I'll get one soon and it will only take part of the year.  My job has been great in terms of acting, going to graduate school, and now taking care of Zack.  I don't think I could have found another that's part time, paid as decently, and came with the ostensible satisfaction helping people every day.  Well, there's prostitution of course, but that has so many risks and drawbacks.

1 comment:

DKC said...

I'm relieved to hear that prostitution is out for now. ;)

(Knock on wood) We are thankful as well that we are holding on to jobs in this day and age. Have a great weekend!